Bariatric Surgery at Care New England
Welcome to The Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Care New England. We understand that obesity can be a difficult disease to live with and a frustrating problem to treat. That's why we are committed to helping you along your journey to better health.
Kent Hospital is a MBSAQIP-Accredited Comprehensive Center. Free informational seminars are offered monthly at Kent and Memorial Hospital by our surgical weight loss team. During these information seminars, you can hear about your options, the risks and the benefits of bariatric surgery. You will have an opportunity to meet our team and ask questions to see if weight loss surgery is right for you.
We care, we understand, and we can help. We look forward to seeing you at a information seminar.
Do I Qualify for Weight Loss Surgery?
In order to qualify for surgery, you must meet criteria established by the National Institutes for Health (NIH). All surgeons in the United States who perform weight loss surgery must follow these guidelines, which include:
- BMI greater than 40 or greater than 35 with at least one major weight-related comorbidity.
- Age 18 years old or older.
- Demonstrated previous failed attempts at nonsurgical weight loss.
- No unstable psychiatric disorder.
- No active dependency on narcotic medications (e.g., Oxycontin or methadone), alcohol, or illegal/recreational drugs.
- Must be committed to a healthier lifestyle and set realistic goals.
- Must be able to understand the risks and consent to the procedure willingly.
Information Session Registration
Weight Loss Surgery, One Woman’s Quest
I’ve struggled with my weight since I stopped swimming competitively in college, but failed to stop carb loading and eating as much as my brothers. Raised in the 1970s and 1980s, we ate white bread and butter, meat and potatoes, and dessert every night.
By the time I married an executive chef and had two children, my poor eating habits were well established. I cycled through different diets through the years – Weight Watchers, Atkins, Herbalife – and each helped a little bit until I hit a plateau, got frustrated and gave up. Any pounds lost were regained, along with a few extra each time.