Working alongside Primary Care Providers
For Primary Care Providers (PCP), the goal of the Care New England Spine Care Program is simple: To help make your practice life easier and more successful and to help your patients become healthier.
This results from a number of key features of our program:
- Easy access: Your patient will be able to see a Primary Spine Practitioner (PSP) within 72 hours.
- Front-end efficiency: Getting patients on the right path immediately is essential for quick recovery. Therefore, we advise that you do not wait until the patient has “failed” physical therapy, orthopedic referral, injections, etc. Our program is not specialist-oriented, it is primary spine care oriented. We offer primary, secondary and tertiary level care. So it is best to send patients early in the process.
- Communication: The PSP will send you a report within 48 hours outlining the diagnosis and management strategy. You will then receive an update every two to three weeks (or less if the problem resolves quickly) apprising you as to your patient’s present status and the plan for resolution of the problem.
- Reducing burden on the PCP: Ours is a complete management, triage and follow-up approach that includes managing disability, referral determinations, care coordination and seeing your patient through to recovery. All the while keeping the you apprised every step of the way.
- Outcome measurement: We use validated tools to measure your patient’s clinical status at baseline and at each re-exam to quantitatively track their progress toward recovery.
- "Stepped Care" approach: We start with the least invasive, safest methods first, with a particular focus on self-care. This is all that is needed for the majority of patients. In the relatively uncommon cases in which the problem persists, higher intensity services are sought, based on a rigorous, evidence-based clinical decision making process. In these cases, your patient is carefully followed to ensure they are experiencing maximum benefit.
- Focus on self-care, exercise, and resumption of activity: This has implications for rapid recovery from the back or neck problem, but also for general health.
- Less is more approach: Research has shown that the less that is done to the patient the better the outcome. This includes diagnostic testing as well as treatment. That is, as long as the right things are done at the right time.
- Comprehensive, yet straightforward: We have a comprehensive team of specialists who are available when they are needed - any evidence-based approach the spine pain patient might need, we can provide. But fortunately, most patients primarily need direction toward understanding and self-managing their condition, with some help from manual treatments and/or simple, short-term medication management.
- Personalized continuity of care: Your patient’s care will take place under the direction of a PSP, who will not only manage the majority without the need for referral, but will continually follow up with patients who see other members of the team to monitor how things are going and make sure the patient stays on track toward recovery.
Looking for our spine care services?Whatever the problem is and whichever services you may need, we are happy to guide you toward a quick and lasting recovery.
Call us for an appointment at (401) 728-2200 Learn More