Volunteers can also provide customer service and support to patients and staff on our busy nursing care units. While volunteers cannot provide care to patients, they can extend compassion and assistance to ensure staff, patients and family members feel supported.
All volunteers in this role will need to complete transport training to be able to move patients around the facility and connect them with services or to take them to the door where their rides await to bring them home. Additional guidance will be provided on the units when you begin. Placement in a specific department will be determined by a number of factors, including your availability.
Current needs are for one or two four hour shifts weekly at Women & Infants Hospital:
- Ambulatory Surgery Department: Monday through Fridays 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. or 3 - 6 p.m.
- Women’s Progressive Care Unit: Monday through Sunday 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Mom Baby Units: Monday through Sunday 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Emergency Department: Saturday 3 - 6 p.m. or 6 - 9 p.m.
Current needs are for one or two four hour shifts at Kent Hospital:
- Acute Care for Elders (ACE Unit): Seven days a week
Please be aware that all of our volunteer positions with infants are currently filled. If any do open up, we will review submitted applications for these positions. Therefore, you should complete our online application if you would like to be considered for a cuddler role in the future. Since the program is designed for minimal turnover, recruitment is not ongoing.
In addition to the overall volunteer requirements, some additional standards are:
- A minimum commitment of a weekly shift for at least one year.
- CPR training which is maintained throughout your service.