The health care environment can be overwhelming and confusing. Volunteer ambassadors can help reduce anxiety by offering compassionate support to patients and families in many areas of our facilities. Some of our volunteer ambassadors are the face of our hospital as people arrive for care; others provide information when someone is looking for a hospitalized loved one. Some volunteer ambassadors serve our patients and the community in our outpatient offices.
The Ambassador role is key to our patient satisfaction initiatives, as their focus is to welcome and guide our patients, visitors and guests. As the Chief Operating Office for Care New England, James E. Fanale recently highlighted “Our collective focus on welcoming patients and families from the parking lot to the bedside will result in the best access and patient satisfaction experience in Rhode Island.” Volunteer Ambassadors target their efforts towards this end regardless of where they are based.
A volunteer ambassador’s duties may vary depending upon the areas supported. Wheelchair transport training is required for most of these positions.
Current needs are for one or two four hour shifts weekly at Kent Hospital:
- The Total Joint Replacement Surgical Team - Monday through Friday 6:30 - 11 a.m.
- The Main Entrance - Monday through Sunday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- The Information Desk - Nights and Weekends
Current needs are for one or two four hour shifts at Women & Infants Hospital:
- The Main Entrance - Monday through Friday 8 a.m. - 7p.m.
- The Emergency Department - Monday through Sunday 3 p.m. - 12 a.m.
- The Infusion Center - Mondays and Fridays 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Prenatal Tour Guides Saturdays 9 -10 a.m. and 10:30 – 11:30 a.m. and Sundays 9 -10 a.m. and 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
Current needs are for two to three shifts per week at Butler Hospital:
- Occupational Therapy - Monday through Friday 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Two Inpatient Adult Units - Monday through Friday 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Patient Assessment - Monday through Friday 12 - 6 p.m.
- Environment of Care Department - Monday through Friday 8 -11 a.m. or 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.