After four successful years executing year-long campaigns to help position clinicians from around Care New England (CNE) as experts on a variety of health-related topics, the system this year is preparing to launch an expanded and updated version of the initiative called CNE Talks Health.
More information and event registration
The first CNE Talks Health campaign will focus on cancer and will include an enhanced web presence on cancer-related services on each system member's website and the main CNE site, as well as the introduction of informational videos featuring system experts discussing the latest research, techniques and treatments.
The apex of the program will be a live webisode on breast cancer that will feature six experts from across Care New England – Butler, Kent and Women & Infants hospitals, the VNA of Care New England and Care New England Wellness Center - addressing a live audience and streaming live on the internet. The webisode, which is free to attend or watch online, is scheduled for Thursday, June 7, at 6 pm, in the Malcolm and Elizabeth Chace Education Center at Women & Infants.
"Our focus is always on what we can do for the community, how we can help them enjoy better health and have access to the best care," explains May Kernan, senior vice president of Marketing Communications for Care New England. "This system offers a wide array of services for such major health care concerns as cancer, diabetes and depression. Each of our facilities brings unique strengths to bear on the topics, and we want to illustrate the continuum of care we are fostering within Care New England."
The initial area of focus is cancer and will showcase CNE as a system of care available to patients, referring clinicians and members of the community. Each CNE member organization will highlight services and experts around the respective topic and related service lines. On the topic of cancer, for example, Butler will focus on depression in cancer patients, Kent on men's cancers, Wellness on nutrition for cancer patients, Women & Infants on women's cancers, and the VNA of Care New England on in-home care.
The webisodewill be moderated by Tara Granahan, anchor and producer of the WPRO morning news, and will feature:
- Angela DeRobertis, MD, a radiation oncologist at Kent who is an expert on the use of radiation as treatment for breast cancer, as well as its side effects
- Michael Fiori, MD, a board-certified psychiatrist at Butler and head of its Adult Outpatient Psychiatric Consultation Services, will be able to answer questions about how the diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer can affect patients emotionally and the type of treatment available
- Jennifer Gass, MD, assistant director of The Breast Health Center and surgeon-in-chief at Women & Infants, who took a sabbatical in Paris to learn oncoplastic surgery, which enables the surgeon to remove the cancerous tissue from a woman's breast and employ plastic surgery techniques to reshape the breast
- Robert D. Legare, MD, director of The Breast Health Center at Women & Infants, a hematologist and oncologist with special expertise in breast cancer genetics
- Nancy Roberts, president and CEO of the VNA of Care New England, who will talk about home care for cancer patients
- Kathy Shilko, RD, LDN, CDOE, CDE, a nutritionist at Care New England Wellness, will answer questions about the importance of nutrition for people undergoing treatment for cancer
For more information on attending the webisode live or streaming it through your computer, and to ask questions of the panel of experts, please go to cnetalkshealth.org.
About Care New England
Care New England, located in Rhode Island, was founded in 1996 by Butler Hospital, Kent Hospital and Women & Infants Hospital.Care New England is an integrated health care system that offers a continuum of quality care.Our system includes primary care and specialty physicians; two teaching hospitals affiliated with Brown Medical School, Butler and Women & Infants; a community hospital, Kent; a visiting nurse and home care agency, Care New England Home Health; and Care New England Wellness Centers